Mackay Regional Sports Precinct project
This new $20 million dollar sporting complex will provide the local community and region with specialised sport and recreational facilities.
The overall vision is to develop a multi-facility precinct which caters for the future growth of Mackay and meets the future planning needs for sport and recreation in the region.
Project outcomes: Stage 1
The athletics facility will include a synthetic surface running track and field event facilities. The associated clubhouse building will include change rooms, café, multi-purpose area and an officials’ room for events.
The aquatic centre includes a 50 metre outdoor pool, 25 metre pool and 15m program pool and associated reception and amenities buildings.
Car parking facilities, roads/drop off areas, path links within site, landscaped surrounds, general lighting, site security, site services infrastructure will also be delivered.
The Mackay Regional Sports Precinct is a joint initiative between the Australian Government, Mackay Regional Council and CQUniversity.
The Australian Government and council have each contributed $10M to develop stages 1A and 1B of the facility, and CQUniversity has donated 12 hectares of its land at Ooralea.
Key Dates (Stage 1)
|Commence preliminary design stage (3-4 months)||January 2017|
|Design package review (4 weeks)||May 2017|
|Commence Tender Period - priced (2 months)||July 2017|
|Tender Assessment (1 month)||September 2017|
|Award main D&C contract||October 2017|
|Commence site works (15 months construction)||October/November 2017|
|Construction of Stage 1||November 2017 - February 2019|
|Practical Completion||February 2019|
- Shortlist announced for Mackay Regional Sports Precinct (April 2017)
- Sports precinct construction (February 2017)
- Project update #1 (September 2017)
- Project update #2 (November 2017)
- Project fact sheet (December 2017)
- Project update #3 (January 2018)
- Project update #4 (February 2018)
- Project update #5 (March 2018)
- Project update #6 (April 2018)
- Project update #7 (May/June 2018)
- Project update #8 (July 2018)