Migrants and multicultural
Migrants and multicultural community members
This migrants and multicultural community members page captures a wide range of links to general and local information to assist you to settle in the region.
We have endeavoured to include as much information as possible, however if you have specific needs or require further information, please contact council directly on 1300 622 529 or email@example.com
Free translating & interpreting service
If you need the below information in your own language or you need to speak to council but are not confident with English you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS).
Phone 13 14 50 and ask them to contact Mackay Regional Council on 1300 622 529. It is free to use when contacting council and is a confidential service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Statistics - Did you know?
- People from more than 79 countries have become Australian Citizens at Mackay Regional Council Citizenship Ceremonies since 2013.
- 11.3% of Mackay residents were born overseas
- 7% of Mackay residents speak a language other than English at home
- Download the Community Profile for more details.
Resources and support services
- Adult Migrant English Program - The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is an Australian Government Program that provides up to 510 hours of English lessons to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants. If you are one of the eligible people – payment for the lessons was included as part of your visa application – so you will receive the lessons at no cost. Childcare may also be included. View translated documents about the program in more than 20 different languages. For more information contact AMEP at CQU Mackay City Campus via emailing AMEP.Mackay@cqu.edu.au or phoning 4940 3414 or 4940 3306.
- 'Beginning a Life in Australia' booklet – Click here to download this Australian Government booklet which welcomes newly-arrived migrants and humanitarian entrants to Australia. It provides useful national, state/territory and local settlement information for migrants, humanitarian entrants, their sponsors and service providers. This information is available to download in English and 37 languages.
- Moving to Mackay – Find out about why Mackay is a great place to live, and all the different services and activities you might need – eg climate, education, things to do, sporting and leisure groups, pets, emergencies (cyclones, floods etc) etc.
- Multicultural Newsletter ‘Migrant Voice’ - Printed four times per year, this newsletter is an helps connect people to multicultural events and services.
- Overview of Council and its services in different languages– Read an overview of council and its facilities and services has been translated in the following languages:
Mackay Regional Council services and events
- Mackay Cultural Diversity Interagency Network – this meeting is held 4 times per year and includes people representing many different cultural groups in Mackay as well as the organisations that can provide support to them (eg English teachers, Council and others). It is a great way for people to share information about activities and talk about any issues they may have so we can help each other. If you are interested in attending please contact council on 1300 MACKAY (1300 622 529) or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Global Grooves Multicultural Festival - held at Queens Park every year. The event has grown every year since it was first held in 2004 and now attracts more than 5000 people. It has been embraced by local cultural groups and the wider community. If you are interested in taking part in the festival in any way (as a performer, food provider, cultural group or audience member) please contact council on 1300 MACKAY (1300 622 529) or at email@example.com for more information.
- Multicultural Community Development Officer - There are a number of groups in Mackay working with and representing the local multicultural community. If you wish to get in touch with these groups you can use council’s Community Development Officer (Portfolio Multicultural) as a first point of reference to provide you with the most up to date contacts.
We also have networking meetings and email lists you can be added to so you can receive information directly.
Contact us today for more information:
Community Development Team
Mackay Regional Council
Phone: 1300 622 529